Happy Monday!! I hope everyone is rested and rejuvenated and ready to hit second semester hard!! It was a great weekend for Falcons Fans…..now it’s time to cheer on the DAWGS! As a reminder, you may wear jeans and UGA attire or Red/Black on Monday! I am encouraging everyone to head home as soon as we know the students have gotten home safely in order to avoid traffic delays on Monday.
Monday, January 8th marks the 90th day of school. We are half way through this amazing school year, and I am confident that you are providing quality instruction every day!!!!
Georgia School Personnel Survey
It is time to respond to the Georgia Department of Education’s staff survey. All employees should take the survey. The survey results will factor into our school’s climate score. Please provide a fair rating for each question by December 22, 2017.
The Georgia School Personnel Survey (GSPS) should be completed by certified and classified staff members who work at least 50 percent of the day in the school. Survey responses are anonymous and will be submitted directly to the Georgia Department of Education for analysis. Staff responses help to calculate our school’s climate score. The Georgia School Personnel Survey link is posted below.
Georgia School Personnel Survey:
- We will conduct Announced Formative observations on the 18th and 19th of this month.
- We will complete mid-year reviews starting January 22nd
- If you are on the flex TKES plan you will we will complete walk-throughs before the end of the month.
- Tutorial starts at 7:30 A.M. We have to be intentional about making sure our students truly understand and can apply their knowledge in other complex ways.
- We will resume our Monday tutorial this week, we will also start (tentatively) our Saturday tutorial on January 13th
- According to the calendar grades 3-5 created, we will have our first GA Milestones Mock Writing Exam on Tuesday.
Pic/ Video of the week:
New Manager Integration Feedback, knocking out a little at a time…
- Consistency in Communication: After our focus groups I have intentionally placed important events on your calendar or sent email two weeks or more in advance. My goal is to continue to not drop things on you at the last minute.
- Teacher Focus: I know that I heavily focus on our students but there needs to be a balance. I hope you have enjoyed the special shine I am giving to individual teachers as well as grade level teams! I also hope you appreciate the tokens of love we try to do ever so often to let you know just how much I appreciate you.
- K-2- Guided reading focus….we are continuing to work in this area. I am going to use Title 1 funds to send our team members to training to perfect this area.
- Does she promote from within: I do my darndest to promote people when they express an interest. So far so good…we have a team member who will lead summer school academy for the Therrell Cluster, we also have a Teacher who will help lead the hiring practices of new teachers.
In case I need to pay attention to something different, please click the link to provide anonymous feedback on how we can get better.
Kudos to Ms. Burchfield and Ms. McCrary for being the leads for our Monday and Saturday tutorial.
Kudos to Ms. Leverette for being selected to lead Therrell Cluster’s summer school academy
Kudos to Ms. Amey for being selected to be a Teacher Recruitment Ambassador (TRA) for the district.
Kudos to the K Team for being selected as the team of the month for the following (Good attendance, awesome PLCs, being team players, and having AWESOME attitudes) They will take a fun trip off campus (weekend) to bond more with their team.
Curriculum and Instruction:
Click to read our SGP story…
Classroom Walk-Throughs: This will be our focus for this week:
- Continue to plan solid lessons that will ensure solid tier 1 instruction
- Grades 3-5, continue to use the writing PowerPoint to help students build stamina.
Math Fact Fluency:
3-5th-grade Team: Do you want to do a school wide Friday morning STOP, DROP, and DRILL for 5 minutes or do you want to carry on with what you are doing currently in your classroom? If you choose the latter…I ask that you give those names to Dr. V so she can post them on our mastery board. Also, I am going to give you multiplication mastery sheets…these sheets will be used to determine if students receive a pass to the game room or you can use your own; however, the facts must random and out of order. Ms. Reid will give every teacher (K-5) 24 laminated reusable game room passes to encourage your students to master their facts.
Students should be reading more than ever!!! Please continue to encourage them to read on or above their lexel levels…Please look at Star to update their lexiles.
Professional Learning Tuesday:
Here is the link for Tuesday, January 9, 2018
Please do not forget about our ongoing Professional Development Workshops to support and enrich our practices. Now that you have your TKES progress report ask for more support if you wish. Please click on the link to view our catalog…
- Road Runner Rally Monday, January 22nd
- Monster Jam Field Trip…Sunday, February 25th 10:30 A.M. to 6:30 P.M.
Link to our school-wide calendar: https://tinyurl.com/okg46dm
Click on the link to access our ONGOING Professional Development support.
Important web links for reference: (These will be included every week)
Advanced Leave Request Form:
APS Curriculum and Instruction Home Page:
TKES Georgia TLE site:
Tiers 1-3 interventions:
Discipline Referral Google Link
Number Talks Link:
Math Strategies that work:
Reading Strategies that work: These are only examples…
Need Support from our Educational Technology Specialist? Click below to request Gina Wilson’s services.
Preferred Substitute List:
HODGES, GLORIA3-5 (678) 401-5223
Ms. Middlebrooks, K-2 (404) 696-0317
BARLOW, SHIRLEY k-3 (404) 758-1991
Cedric Oglesby (Certified Teacher) K-5 (678)481-3316