Monday, November 13th marks the 65th day of school. Have a great week BEFORE our much-needed break!!!
There are some exciting things happening at Fickett, please make sure you read the entire blog.
I wish everyone a smooth 15 th week of school!
Quote for the week…We are almost there…
New Manager Integration Feedback, knocking out a little at a time…
1. School-Wide Discipline Behavior system… A team was created and will present our new system on Tuesday during our morning meeting.
2. Recognizing all team member’s strengths and using them accordingly…
- The Kindergarten Team created the hiring process for our Pre-K position. They did a phenomenal job!
- Ms. Garlington and her team organized and planned all events related to Vision to Learn. At least 200 students received eyeglasses because of their efforts.
- Ms. Leverett organized the hiring process for our Special Education teacher and boy did she do an amazing job! We have a winner who will start this week.
- Ms. Brown organized our Character Day Parade and it was a huge success!
- Ms. Burchfield took on a new teacher mentee to help her navigate her last days in her master’s degree program.
- New: In one of the focus groups, someone shared the need to know exactly what the administration team is looking for regarding instruction…We created the TKES Progress sheets to let you know specifically what we will look for when we come to your individual rooms.
3. Notifying teachers regarding parent concerns and allowing the teachers to schedule conferences or at least be prepared before time….
- As of o a couple of weeks ago, we created a new protocol, parents must complete a concern sheet regarding any issue they are having. The teacher is contacted and the concerns are shared giving the teacher a chance to resolve the issue. If there is a need for a meeting, the teacher leads the meeting and takes full control of the outcome with an administrator sitting in for support.
Video of the week:
Kudos to Ms. Nixon for representing our school well as the 2016-2017 TEACHER OF THE YEAR!!! WELL DESERVED!
Kudos to Ms. Leverett for presenting at the GaETC !!!!! Way to go!!!!
Kudos to Ms. Allen for presenting at the School Social Worker Association of Georgia!!!
Kudos to you guys for your commitment to turning our school around!!!
Curriculum and Instruction:
In an effort to consistently provide you with the feedback we completed all TKES progress sheets for content area teachers. They are ready to help focus your practice and guide our support.
When you receive your sheet, please look at your current ratings regarding your performance in Teacher Keys. This tool was revised to focus on your individual areas of (needs) development and/or sustain or grow your areas of proficiency.
The yellow highlights are schoolwide goals, these are goals that we are working on schoolwide and will offer continuous support around.
The turquoise highlights are your individual goals that we want to improve by supporting you through PLs, feedback, and ongoing coaching from our team.
We want to be transparent in our approach, so, therefore, this tool will be used as a guide for observations and feedback. Our feedback and observations will only focus on the areas noted in this document in hopes of tailoring our feedback to support you further.
We hope that you find this tool to be beneficial in support of building/extending your capacity, which will positively impact our students’ progress/achievement.
The Administration Team:
Benita Grant, Principal
Nikki Stroud, Assistant Principal
Classroom Walk-Throughs: This will be our focus for this week:
- Evidence and solid implementation of the Week at a Glance. Remember, your lesson at Glance must be roadmap to what you are teaching
- Using data to form small groups and guided instruction
- Data Notebooks (Students should be able to use their data notebook to speak to their progress in Math and ELA.)
Check out our top three A.R. classes on each grade level!!! I am so excited that ALL of our students are reading!!!!! Welcome, Ms. Thomas and Ms. Ellis Class!!!
Excited to Announce Fickett’s Professional Development Catalog
You will receive certificates of completion for the PDS you have attended thus far.
Team, Please do not forget about our ongoing Professional Development Workshops to support and enrich our practices. Please click on the link to view our catalog…
Team, In lieu of our PL Tuesday, I will hold a schoolwide data meeting on Tuesday Morning in the media center. You will not need to sign up, I will have a hard copy for you to sign.
Here are just a few of our ongoing PDs…
|Using your Data Wisely- This course will demonstrate how to use your data for flexible grouping and how to create independent small groups for students to support them with their deficient areas found in their student data binder.
Annotating Objectives- This course will demonstrate how to annotate objectives and use them throughout the lessons to help students make connections.
Following the units of study and organizing the important information in the Lessons at a Glance. This course will demonstrate how to identify the particular content to be taught and your goals for learning outcomes.
Accelerated Reader- This course will demonstrate how to pull reports, how to monitor the books your students’ are reading and how to find ways to ensure your students are reading routinely.
Effective Behavior interventions- This course will demonstrate how to put the Right systems, Practices, and Data in place to support Positive Behavior.
Math Strategies that work- This course will demonstrate how to support active student participation in math lessons which allows teachers to assess the developing proficiency levels of all students in the class by walking around to monitor student responses. These strategies are especially effective during the Mental Math part of an Everyday Mathematics lesson.
Parent Involvement: Please be sure to continue to set up Parent Student Conferences…Please allow your students to lead the conference using their Data Binders.
Spread a positive word – Teachers should make one call that’s all (at least every other week) to share a positive word or update parents.
Game Room– Be on the look for GAME ROOM changes to address the feedback from our focus groups.
Events, Announcements, and Reminders:
Instruction starts between 8:10-8:15 daily.
SEL: Should take place before the instructional day
POD and DOL must take place before the instructional day.
USE your Instructional plans to inform small group instruction.
Link to our school-wide calendar: https://tinyurl.com/okg46dm
Lead Team, We will meet on Tuesday, November 28, 2017, @ 3:00 P.M. Place: Ms. Woods Classroom. We will present out on The Five Dysfunctions of a Team. (We will talk more about the feedback and discuss the best “teams ” to move the work. (Snacks will be served…sorry for not canceling on the 7th. )
Click on the link to access our ONGOING Professional Development support.
A Message from our Instructional Coaches:
Important web links for reference: (These will be included every week)
Advanced Leave Request Form:
APS Curriculum and Instruction Home Page:
TKES Georgia TLE site:
Tiers 1-3 interventions:
Discipline Referral Google Link
Number Talks Link:
Math Strategies that work:
Reading Strategies that work: These are only examples…
Need Support from our Educational Technology Specialist? Click below to request Gina Wilson’s services.
Preferred Substitute List:
HODGES, GLORIA3-5 (678) 401-5223
Ms. Middlebrooks, K-2 (404) 696-0317
BARLOW, SHIRLEY k-3 (404) 758-1991
Cedric Oglesby (Certified Teacher) K-5 (678)481-3316